Don’t worry I did too! I missed National Ice Cream Day! It is always the third Sunday in July. But don’t worry, you can still celebrate National Ice Cream Month; which takes place during the month of July! Ten percent of all milk produced in the United States is used to make ice cream! How awesome is that? National Ice Cream Day and National Ice Cream Month were created in 1984, by President Ronald Reagan, as way to recognize a fun and nutritious food that is enjoyed by over 90% of the nation.
You can learn more about the history of ice cream, common trends, and tips on storing and handling it at the International Dairy Foods Association Website
Before you check out the website, you can make this delicious ice cream cake to celebrate! The best part about this cake is it is EASY and can be made to feed a few people or a large crowd!
Homemade Ice Cream Cake
1 Gallon of your favorite ice cream- We used chocolate!
1 package Oreo Cookies
1 package Reese, cut into pieces
1 package mini M&M’s
1 bottle of Magic Shell
Chocolate Syrup, Carmel Syrup, or any other candy toppings you might like.
Now the fun part begins!
- Crush up the Oreo cookies and place in the bottom of a glass pan or very deep container with a lid. We use a 9 x 13 glass pan. If you use the entire gallon of ice cream it will fill two 9 x 13 glass pans!
- It works best if your ice cream is slightly soft, but not melted! I would let it sit out for maybe 10 minutes depending on how frozen it is. Using a large metal or wooden spoon, scoop out layers of ice cream and place them on top of the Oreo cookies. You want the ice cream layers to fill the 9 x 13 pan about halfway full.
- On top of the layer of ice cream, place the cut up Reese’s, some mini M&M’s, Magic Shell, and any other syrups or toppings! You can put as much, or as little of the toppings as you wish!
- Then place another layer of ice cream to almost completely fill the pan on top of the layer of toppings you just put down. You want to leave enough room to sprinkle more toppings on top of the cake.
- Place another layer of toppings on the top of your most recent ice cream!
- Put the cake in the freezer, let it harden, and enjoy
The best part of this recipe is it can be adapted to fit the needs of your family or event! It is up to you!
Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook to learn more about our adventures on our farm and hear about new recipes!